PRINCSSIS SPEAKS...you may listen

Anyone who knows me and my family will know that I am "Princess Sister" to my three younger brothers. I'm a fairly quiet woman, so when I have something to say, I expect to be heard. I mean no disrespect or place myself on any kind of pedestal. My brothers gave me this name, so I honor them by using it.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Let sleeping children sleep?

OK. I have a dilemma. Belle did not sleep well last night. She's been battling nasal congestion so bad that she coughs when she tries to swallow. Anyway, she woke up at about 4am requesting a drink of water. I happily obliged, as I do every so often. Typically, she will take a SIP and then go back to bed with no problems. This morning was different. She took huge GULPS of water and wouldn't let me put down the glass until she had her fill. She refused to go back to bed. So, we were snoozing in the recliner and all of a sudden, around 4:45am, up came the water! I thought maybe she was getting the flu I had over the weekend. Nope. After that, she was fine.

We had a Cub Scout outing today. We had to be at the Scout Leader's house at 8:30am. Belle and I actually made it there ON TIME! That is quite the accomplishment for me! CJ had spent the night there. We went on to the local college's veterinary medicine open house. There were all kinds of animal exhibits. The kids even milked a cow and felt inside a fistulated cow!! We finally left there at about 2pm. I was amazed that Belle, who usually goes down for a nap around 11am when she's had a good night's sleep, was still awake and in a good mood! She didn't even fall asleep on the 30 minute ride home! However, I did put her down as soon as we arrived back home, at about 2:30 or 2:45pm. It is now nearly 11pm and she is STILL ASLEEP! I have checked on her several times and she is sleeping soundly. Yes, she is breathing!

There have been other times when she hasn't gone down at her usual nap time and slept from 5 or 6pm to 7am. But she's never slept all night from before 3pm! Of course, this has to be a short night with time "springing forward" one hour tonight!

What would have you done? Would you be like me and let her sleep and pray she doesn't get up at 2 or 3am raring to go? Or would you have woke her up earlier and tried to get her back to bed at her normal bedtime?

4 Comments:

Blogger Blond Girl said...

Wow. Tough call. I think I would have woke her up at 7:00 p.m. for dinner and made her stay up until about 10 or 11, hoping that she would then sleep through the night.

It's really odd when they get off their normal schedules, isn't it? Sweet Girl is usually up with the sun (or even before it). I usually dont' bother setting the alarm because of it. Once in a great while she'll sleep in and throw everyone off. It makes me laugh!

1:52 PM  
Blogger Blond Girl said...

so how late did she sleep, anyway?

1:52 PM  
Blogger princssis said...

Belle slept until 4am (so with the time change, it was really like 3am). I changed her diaper, gave her a small drink and then we cuddled and went back to sleep in the recliner until AR got up at about 6:30am. Not too bad, I'd say!

9:30 PM  
Blogger Blond Girl said...

OK, so thanks for the email. Didn't occur to me to check back here! My name is Blond Girl....

11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home