PRINCSSIS SPEAKS...you may listen

Anyone who knows me and my family will know that I am "Princess Sister" to my three younger brothers. I'm a fairly quiet woman, so when I have something to say, I expect to be heard. I mean no disrespect or place myself on any kind of pedestal. My brothers gave me this name, so I honor them by using it.

Name:
Location: United States

Monday, February 27, 2006

Where to start?

I have so much to blog about, I don't know where to start.

I am sore - aching all over! I'm not sick, thank God! I helped GranDee move yesterday. She had help getting packed and coming here, three hours from her previous home. Actually, the buyers of her home helped her! What a blessing they are. I helped on this end unloading and putting things away. I should've gone to help her pack, I think!

She lived in a two bedroom home with a basement. Now, she's in a 12' x 12' room! She decided she wanted to move to a retirement community that provides three meals a day and housekeeping. I kept reminding her over the phone that she was coming to a 12' x 12' room. (She had visisted the facility over Christmas.) I recommended that she use graph paper to plan the furniture arrangement. She made a diagram, to scale, so we knew exactly where each piece of furniture would go. She listened to me, but I don' t think she really understood how much stuff she would need to get rid of! We had boxes lining the hallway and the room was pretty full.

The unloading of the truck didn't go quite as planned. She had wanted the big items (bed, dressers, bookcases, desk) unloaded first so we would have room to maneuver them into place. Well, the people helping was trying to get stuff off the truck as quickly as possible and started bringing in boxes first. GranDee had the bed partially assembled in such a way that it shoud've fit into the elevator (she's on the third floor). Well, it didn't fit, so we had to fully disassemble it. While I was helping disassemble the bed, the others continued taking boxes up to her room. When we got up there with the bed, there wasn't much room to move, but we managed to get the bed into place. After all her things were unloaded from the truck, the furniture put in it's new arrangement, I was left with her and all the boxes! Oh, and the comments from other residents and visitors in the hallway. "My she has a lot of stuff!"

My goal for the evening was to get all the boxes out of the hallway. First, any box labeled "books" I unpacked and put in the bookcases. That helped a lot. I shoved things under her bed, for now. She has a set of drawers that go under the bed, but by the time they arrived to the room, there wasn't enough space to put them in place. They are now leaning against the wall. Her shower is full of boxes, which I guess is okay for now since the water was going to be off today from 7am to 10am for repairs. There are six boxes of files. You know, like the papers you would put in a file cabinet. I told GranDee that I was going to do like "Clean Sweep" and give her homework to go through the files and pare down to ONE box! She didn't like that too well, but that's the way it is. I'm not going to make this easy for her. Once I managed to get all the boxes either unpacked or loaded into her room, I left. She had a small path to the bed. She was surrounded by stacks of boxes. I want her to realize she really needs to look at all her STUFF and decide what is important to keep. She had medical supplies that she doesn't use anymore. They are new, but not appropriate for her now. There's boxes of pictures. She brought one of those wrapping paper storage containers full of Christmas wrap. I told her she doesn't have room to store that and she will have to buy wrap as she needs it. Blond Girl suggested we ask if we could put a few things in an empty room, but I said that was too easy. We'll see how the next few days go. Hopefully, she will realize what needs to go and what needs to stay.

I know it must be hard to pare down from a two+ bedroom HOUSE to a one room apartment. I just don' t want to see her living in clutter. She wants her grandkids to come over for visits. She needs to keep that in mind. Also, she has a Jack Russell terrier dog with her. She shook the whole time, poor thing. She just didn't' t know quite what to think.

I love my Mom. I want the best for her. But, I am sore, Mom!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home