PRINCSSIS SPEAKS...you may listen

Anyone who knows me and my family will know that I am "Princess Sister" to my three younger brothers. I'm a fairly quiet woman, so when I have something to say, I expect to be heard. I mean no disrespect or place myself on any kind of pedestal. My brothers gave me this name, so I honor them by using it.

Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

You might be a redneck if....

You hit two deer at once with your car.
WARNING: This post includes the unfortunate demise of animals and may not be suitable for some readers.

As I posted in my true/false meme, I was driving home from work (an hour commute on a country two-lane route) in my 1987 Olds Delta 88 when I saw a deer cross the road in front of me. I was thankful I missed it. Ooops. There were two more following the first. They were side-by-side. I ran right into them. The one closest to me was killed instantly, but the other was injured. I ended up going through a fence and into the field. If I remember correctly, I was able to turn the car around to try to get back to the road. For some reason, I wasn't able to get back on the road. I don't know if it was because the ditch was too deep or the car wasn't running well. Probably both. Anyway, I had a cell phone and called someone, I think my mother-in-law, GranMum. Suddenly, a lady was at my window, grabbing my cell phone from me. She was an EMT and used my phone to call for help. She evaluated me and determined I was ok. Thank God for the tank I was driving!

Soon, the county police were there along with other EMT's. Some were helping to hold down the injured deer so it wouldn't run back into the road and get hit again. I was seated in someone's pickup and continued my calls home. All of a sudden, I heard a bang and realized the sheriff had shot the wounded deer. I remember wishing someone had warned me. I was a little jumpy. The officer then took me to his car. We went over the incident and went up to the farm house to see if they wanted me to pay for the damaged fence. They didn't, as they would be replacing it anyway. We then sat on the side of the road in the squad car near the accident to wait for AR to arrive. I was about half-way home, so it would be at least 30 mins. before he could get there. While we sat, a pickup truck pulled up and three overall wearin' men hopped out. They seemed like they would approach the squad car, but they started loading the deer into the truck! You see, the officer had asked me if I wanted to keep the deer. They weren't any trophies or anything, but my family hunts and eats the meat. I told him we would take them to be butchered. So, the officer had to get out of the car and stop the fellows from taking my deer. I believe they gave him a little flack, but they put down the deer and left.

Once AR arrived, he loaded the deer into OUR pickup and we headed home. He had called a buddy of his and arranged for him to meet us at the house. I went inside while the guys took the deer out to the country to "dress" them. I guess the one was too messed up to salvage. The other, remember, had a bullet hole in it's head from the sheriff. This was not deer hunting season, and it was about 10:30pm by that time. When AR got back home, he said he was glad the game warden hadn't come by while they were dressing the deer! He didn't have a police report or anything with him to prove he hadn't shot the deer illegally. WHEW!

5 Comments:

Blogger TC said...

Wow, I have never heard of them letting you keep the deer. Don't tell anyone who lives here though. LOL I can just a new version of Off-season moose hunting.

Just kidding, that sounds like it was a pretty tramatic experience. It would sure as heck have tramatized me.

8:27 AM  
Blogger yellojkt said...

The weirdest date I was ever on, we got back to her house and her brother was home early from his weekend hunting trip. We spent the rest of the evening watching his family dress the deer.

9:08 AM  
Blogger InterstellarLass said...

That's too sad. But, at least they didn't go to waste.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Carmi said...

Goodness comes from tragedy. I like the theme. And, of course, that you were OK in the end.

I once almost took out a deer at high speed - 100 km/h - on a dark country highway. It appeared out of nowhere, and looked like a ghost in my headlights. I had no time to react...and missed his hind quarters by what seemed like almost nothing at all.

Frightening, indeed. I'm glad you came through it all right.

Visiting from Michele's tonight.

8:40 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

We see deer around here all the time, and when we go out at night, we are sure to see them. Once we were visiting in northern WV, and during a 45 minute ride, we saw 9 deer on the road. Very scary!

Michele sent me.

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home