PRINCSSIS SPEAKS...you may listen

Anyone who knows me and my family will know that I am "Princess Sister" to my three younger brothers. I'm a fairly quiet woman, so when I have something to say, I expect to be heard. I mean no disrespect or place myself on any kind of pedestal. My brothers gave me this name, so I honor them by using it.

Name:
Location: United States

Monday, September 26, 2005

Take me out to the ballgame!

AR was given 4 tickets for yesterday's (his birthday) Milwaukee Brewers and Cardinals game in Milwaukee. AR is a die hard Cardinal fan. He's wanted for a long time to take CJ to Miller Park. When he was given this opportunity, it just so happened the game day was AR's 41st birthday. These were no ordinary tickets. They were in the front row on the third base line, just feet from the Cardinal (visiting team) dugout. I grew up in a Cub household, but I LOVE JIM EDMONDS!!! AR looks a little like him (or visa versa) except Jimmy has a butt! (fanning myself)

Anyway, AR, CJ and I went to Milwaukee on Friday and a friend of CJ's went along. Belle was shuffled between GranNee and GranMum. After going to buy a new digital camera, we spent Saturday dodging raindrops at the Milwaukee County Zoo. It was very nice and we were ready to leave at about the time the raindrops turned to an out and out downpour! We found a Greek restaurant, ate only 1/2 of our food (the portions were HUGE), and went back to the hotel and went swimming. AR found the sauna - twice that day.

AR woke up in the night with a headache. He gets migraines, and he was pretty upset he woke up with one on his birthday. He finally figured out he had probably gotten dehydrated from the time he spent in the sauna! So, he took his medicine, drank a bunch of water and started feeling better by the time we were to leave to go to the game. We had reservations at The .300 Club - an elite restaurant at Miller Park. We arrived in time to get to near the front of the line to gain entrance into the stadium. In The .300 Club, we were seated at a table right at the windows were we could watch the Cardinals batting practice. The boys were a little disappointed that this would be a good time to be down at our seats to get autographs. Anyway, we ate an elegant Sunday brunch. The boys were especially impressed with the chocolate fondue fountain. CJ ate rather well, trying some different foods. His friend, however, is quite a picky eater, so I don't think he appreciated the smorgasboard as much as the rest of us.

We arrived at our seats about 10 minutes before game time. It was awesome to be that close to the players! Soon, the national anthem was played. I was so proud of CJ for taking off his hat and holding it over his heart without being told. Later, we found out there was a close up of him on TV during that time! I was able to purchase the broadcast of the game off the internet ( only $3.95) since GranMum missed that part when she taped the game. So, now, we have a record of it! Is that awesome, or what? I haven't looked through the rest of the game to see if we can be spotted any other time. There were thunderstorms during the game, but thanks to the retractable roof, we were dry. It did leak, though, at the center seam, but we were not affected. We were able to hear David Eckstein yell, "I got it! I got it!" and the balls skirt across the grass in front of us! I just tried to take it all in. I also took quite a few pics - especially of Jimmy! Thanks to his triple, after which he scored a run, and a homer, the Cardinals won 2-0. (sigh)

Oh, and I had a surprise for AR at the end of the 2nd inning. His name was up in lights at the stadium! I had his name put on the Happy Birthday list! Of course, they had to put an ad that read, "For only $15, you can have your name in lights" or something like that. AR turned to me and laughed, "It cost you $15?" Later, I told him that when I ordered it, I used his debit card, since I don't have one and the attendant got a kick out of it when I told him I was using the birthday boy's card. I was actually surprised the attendant let me use it.

After the game, there was a guy next to us that seemed to know the Cardinal catcher for the bull pen. The player threw him a ball, and he promptly turned to CJ and gave it to him. CJ then promptly thanked him and gave it to his friend, who had never been to a pro game before. Throughout the whole game, the friend was saying all he wanted was a ball. Almost made me cry that CJ would do something like that. Later, he told GranNee, "I already have one. What do I need another one for?" I am so proud.

So, we had an awesome weekend. I'm glad we were able to go and take a friend that may never have that kind of opportunity again. Even though it started out rough, I think AR had a pretty good birthday, too.

6 Comments:

Blogger Champs said...

That is awsome! I am proud of the little guy. It sound like none of you will forget this day.

11:47 PM  
Blogger Blond Girl said...

Wow! What a great story! I, too, am proud of CJ... makes him seem less like a jester in your royal court and more like a knight, doesn't it?

I am glad AR got such a good bday present. It's so nice to be able to do something that really means a lot to you, doesn't it?

I would have loved to have seen that chocolate fondue fountain too. Perhaps we'll have to take a trip to Milwaukee, though I don't see Champs really wanting to do that...

10:11 PM  
Blogger Pieces of Me said...

HOw awesome!! Great story I enjoyed the read...I am here from Michele's TTYL

7:59 AM  
Blogger TC said...

hello, Michele sent me.

Great story! Sounds like an unforgetable day!

10:09 AM  
Blogger Cecilia said...

Unforgettable day, indeed!

Hi there, Michele sent me!

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Pearl said...

What a great weekend. It's a totally different experience to be so close you can see the dust. I wonder if my local team sells the replay CDs. Interesting idea. Too bad they listed the price just then but glad he got a kick out of it.

Michele sent me

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home