PRINCSSIS SPEAKS...you may listen

Anyone who knows me and my family will know that I am "Princess Sister" to my three younger brothers. I'm a fairly quiet woman, so when I have something to say, I expect to be heard. I mean no disrespect or place myself on any kind of pedestal. My brothers gave me this name, so I honor them by using it.

Name:
Location: United States

Friday, September 16, 2005

Football Frenzy!

Friday night football! We typically don't attend the area high school football games. We do have season tickets to our local college season, however. CJ has really been getting into football lately and even wanted to play this year (he's in 3rd grade). He didn't get to play partly because we found out too late to register him. I, personally, am glad of it. He's a scrawny boy that is light as a feather. AR thinks he'd be a good kicker, but CJ wants to play QB like his dad, uncle, and grandpa.

Tonight, AR wanted to go to the big high-school rivalry game. CJ misunderstood and thought we were going to the college game. He was upset that he didn't know any of the players or anything! AR spoke to him about the rivalry and how he, his brother and dad had all played QB for the team we were going to watch. Then, CJ calmed down and agreed to go.

The game started off well. "Our" team scored a touchdown on the first possession. Then came the four turnovers resulting in scores by the other (home) team. Yes, we traveled 20 miles to the game. At half-time, the score was 20 (them) to 7 (us). AR told me the game was over and we ought to just go home. We started for the gate and CJ got upset again, only this time he didn't want to leave! AR was walking up ahead of us talking to an old buddy. I told CJ to talk about it with his dad. He just got more upset and started stomping off. As we exited, I told AR about CJ being upset for leaving. He said if CJ wanted to stay, we could. So, by this time, we are out of the gate and CJ was stomping off ahead of us as if he had a mission. He didn't realize we could go back in. I yelled his name, not once, but three times. Each time, CJ turned around, stomped his feet, turned back and walked on. I finally caught up with him and told him if he hadn't acted that way, we would be going back in. But, since he had such a bad attitude, we would leave. We did.

The whole way home, CJ cried and wailed about it being the worst day of his life (a common phrase when he doesn't get his way). AR quieted him down several times by telling him "enough". Once we arrived home, the stomping, crying, and wailing continued. This time, it was accompanied by door slamming. We continued to talk about the evening's events. We explained to CJ if he had only told AR calmly that he wanted to stay, we probably would have. Maybe he'll consider that next time instead of throwing a tantrum! The night ended with apologies and hugs. CJ even got something to eat, probably to fill the currently hollow leg.

I'm glad we stuck to our guns. I did not like the feeling when CJ acted that way, so rude and disrespectful. The game wouldn't have been very exciting. The score ended up 28-7. Oh, well. Sometimes life's lessons are more important than football. (Sorry, fellas.)

How about you? What would/do you do in this situation?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I like your blog. Im going to put it with the rest of my favorite blogs. If you have time please visit my xango juice site. Its great site for a xango juice.

10:40 PM  
Anonymous netchick said...

hehe... CJ has a few, er, issues. :)

Here from Michele!

10:48 PM  
Blogger Yaeli said...

Is CJ an only child? Because it sounds like it. Keep sticking to your guns and hopefully he'll mature a little.
Michele sent me!

10:56 PM  
Blogger princssis said...

CJ has a 17 month old sister, Belle. So, he was the only one for 7 years. Usually, he's pretty mature, but latey it seems he's going through some kind of stage. ?

10:58 PM  
Blogger Blond Girl said...

Well, Champs and I congratualate you. You did exactly the right thing. Keeping calm and explaining the consequences for his attitude will help him immessurably (sp?). You didn't resort to yelling (which would have shown him that yelling works) and you didn't go back in. You're right; he will more than likely think about this next time. Especially if he gets a gentle reminder on the way there :-)

I wouldn't be surprised if some of this behavior is because of Belle - he sees her learning how to relate, which at her age involves a lot of "no!" and big attidude, and thinks he can try his own version. He'll learn that the fair, mature way is best. You're doing a great job of teaching him that!

Oh, and how scared am I that I actually understood all those football terms? Champs has corrupted me!!!!!!!!!!!!! auugh!

10:26 PM  
Blogger lewislando3789 said...

i thought your blog was cool and i think you may like this cool Website. now just Click Here

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Pearl said...

It sounds like a good lesson to explain you get what you want by acting calm. Everyone, of every age feels whiny and worn out now and then, but stopping hissy fits by self-control is always a good thing.

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home