PRINCSSIS SPEAKS...you may listen

Anyone who knows me and my family will know that I am "Princess Sister" to my three younger brothers. I'm a fairly quiet woman, so when I have something to say, I expect to be heard. I mean no disrespect or place myself on any kind of pedestal. My brothers gave me this name, so I honor them by using it.

Name:
Location: United States

Friday, August 19, 2005

"Moooom...."

With that intonation that you know what's coming next - "...I don't feel good." or "...my throat hurts." It's still the first week of school and I've already heard it. This morning, CJ woke up with a "sore throat". I looked with a flashlight, but didn't see any warning signs of strep or a significant illness. He didn't feel warm, but I took his temp anyway. 97.8 degrees. No fever. I looked through the school handbook to see what, if any, guidelines they had for illness. Nothing, so I called the school. I was told if there is no fever or vomiting, it's ok to send the child to school. So, CJ was instructed to finish dressing and go to school. "But my eyes are starting to feel hot." (He always says this when he's getting a legitimate fever.) "You don't have a fever, so try to tough it out and if your throat gets too bad, tell your teacher."

CJ's not one to "fake" an illness to stay home from school. He loves school. However, there is a new kid in the class this year, next to whom he is sitting. We have had experience with this boy during the summer on CJ's baseball team. He was always the one causing trouble. There's also another boy that was in CJ's Kindergarten and first grade classes that ended up going to another program during the first grade. He had been very disruptive in class and bullied the other kids (he's a year older than the rest since he had pneumonia during the first year he was to be in Kindergarten.) This year, I've been informed by this boy's mother, that he will be transitioned back into the regular classroom. UGH. He will spend a short time each day in the classroom, gradually increasing the time for a while.

Could CJ be having difficulties with the new boy? Does he legitimately have a sore throat? Only time will tell, I suppose.
What guidelines do you use when your child says s/he is sick and doesn't want to go to school?

5 Comments:

Blogger Blond Girl said...

Whoa... I guess this is one where I will get to learn from you! We haven't gotten there yet.

Let me know what happens!

10:27 AM  
Blogger yellojkt said...

I use the same rule for my kid that I use on me to determine if I am well enough for school/work. Fever or vomiting is stay at home. Everything else you can probably live through for just one day.

You may have a bullying situation. That requires close communication with your son and his teacher. Spend a lot of time explainig why bullies act that way and what he should do if he is being bothered. Listem to him too and find out exactly what is happening and then take that with a grain of salt. Kids can be very self-serving in their recollections.

Unfortunately, sometimes the school's hands are tied if there are special circumstances surrounding the bully. Dealing with the bully's parents directly can be tried but that's usually futile because they are too close to the situation.

11:47 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

I am living proof that a person can develop illness just from being in a bad school situation. I got migraine headaches in high school and it was due to a poor teacher I had to associate with there. He may be having a problem with a bully. Watch it closely.

I had a kid who was prone to fib about illness so as to stay home.

At one point, she mentioned feeling ill and thinking was malingering, I sent her off anyway. In about 2 hours, the school called. Her fever was 102*. I felt awful about it and she will never let me live it down. She is 33 now and it happened a long, long time ago. But she never forgets!

Michele sent me.

10:35 PM  
Blogger K Jones said...

My wife always makes the stay at home experience a painful one. If you're too sick to go to school, you're too sick to play any games. Go to your room and take a nap and she'll bring you Sprite and soda crackers. My kids let me know at that point. I don't know about the bullying thing, though. Thankfully, things have been pretty tame. Good luck.

BTW--Michele says Hi.

10:35 PM  
Anonymous chatty said...

Our next door neighbor and my mom's best friend was a nurse. We were either really sick or marched next door for an exam!

Michele sent me.

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home