PRINCSSIS SPEAKS...you may listen

Anyone who knows me and my family will know that I am "Princess Sister" to my three younger brothers. I'm a fairly quiet woman, so when I have something to say, I expect to be heard. I mean no disrespect or place myself on any kind of pedestal. My brothers gave me this name, so I honor them by using it.

Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, August 21, 2005

And behind door number 3.....

Yesterday, Saturday, I went on a trip with CJ's cub scout pack to the Indianapolis Children's Museum. I decided to take Belle with us - she's such a good traveler. Anyway, in order to be sure we could get the group rate, other friends and siblings went along. There were 13 children and 10 adults. Everyone got along well. To my surprise, there really wasn't much whining or arguing or tempers.

We drove in four vehicles, one of which I drove. I hadn't gotten much sleep the night before because Belle has been teething and was up twice in the night. She usually sleeps all night. Since I was so tired, I didn't get AR up in time to go to work (again). However, this isn't as much of a problem on the weekend. He elected not to go to work. (I didn't know this until later in the day.) I had hoped maybe he'd done the dishes I left in the sink.

As I said, we had a great time at the museum. We were there from open to close (10 am to 5 pm). We all stopped for pizza on the way home. I made a wrong turn (kinda) on the way home and thought I was lost. I used the skills my AR has taught me about our flat land here. Look for lights and drive toward them. I did. I found out I hadn't gone out of my way at all. I knew where I was and made it home safely at about 9 pm. The dishes were still in the sink.

After getting the kids to bed, AR started with his occasional list of things he wants to see done. I have a bad habit of piling papers on the dining table. He's always after me about it, especially since you can see it from the front door. He had told me some relatives will be stopping by sometime soon and he would like it cleared off. I hadn't done it yet.

He proceeded to show me why. He opened the back door. It was dark and all I could see was some dark patches in the grass. I thought the septic tank was overflowing. I never seen one overflow, but it looked as though it had. He said, "Well, you can't really see it that well." and started walking toward the garage. I kept asking, "Is it the septic?" all the while wondering how much it was going to cost to have pumped and repaired. Our town is in the planning phases of installing a sewer system.

We entered the garage and he turned on the light. There were piles of wood planks filling the garage floor. "Did it come in?" I asked, referring to the cedar siding we have on order for the house. Then, I suddenly realized what AR was trying to show me. The back yard had been excavated and there were a lot of wood planks in the garage. "Is that a deck? You didn't even discuss it with me!"

He was so disappointed. He thought he would surprise me. We had discussed putting a deck in about 2 years ago, but hadn't gotten around to it yet. We recently had a conversation about discussing big things with each other. As I mentioned, we are soon going to be siding the house (just the upper portion of the tri-level as the rest is brick). I've also been wanting to remodel the kitchen and upstairs bath. More importantly and urgently, the bathroom sink plumbing is leaking and needs to be fixed. AR told me he'd rather wait until the siding was done before tackling the kitchen. "Let's just keep one in the fire right now." I fugured we wouldn't be doing anything else.

I tried to apologize, but my initial reaction was of frustration that he hadn't discussed it with me. There are also some other financial obligations I feel are more important. I do love, though, that he wanted to surprise me. I'm just sorry it didn't happen that way.

2 Comments:

Blogger Blond Girl said...

Oooo, that's a hard one. You want the hubby in the doghouse for not doing the very thing he agreed to do and yet, he was (in his mind), doing something special... and the dumb dishes are still there and just taking care of that would have been kinds special (and cost less) too, darnit! I don't envy you; I'm not sure how I would handle that either, except with a heart to heart talk. sigh. No fun.

Hey, on the good side (hope this increases your smile quotient a little):
1. Belle traveled well.
2. You had fun.
3. You didn't hit a deer on the way home (sorry, I had to say it... blame champs; he tells stories).
4. The papers weren't shrewn over the yard Iwhich I suspected from the way the story went from the pile of papers to AR taking you out to the yard)
5. The septic system is fine. No ickies swimming in your yard! (has it had any regularly required maintence? If not, maybe that's why it came to mind....)
6. The bathroon sink plumbing should be able to be fixed without costing near as much as the deck.
7. And the dishes? Well, there's always the dishwasher and isn't CJ about the right age to start learning the proper way to load one of those?

P.S. low blood sugar, so I did this without my glasses. How'd I do?
Hugs! I wish you and I could go out together for some GNO (girl's night out) therapy.

3:56 AM  
Blogger princssis said...

The reason the septic came to mind is because while we were gone a couple weekends ago, the septic at our business overflowed and the pipes were so full it was coming out the toilet! Our partners had to deal with it since we were gone. If you ask me, there were signs there that something was wrong way before that happened, but it wasn't taken care of then (I just do the bookkeeping.)
BTW-you didn't do to bad. I'm just wondering what you meant by the papers until I looked back at the post. You see, the table is in front of the door to the back yard. AR told me he would be using that door a lot and needed the papers cleaned off the table so we could take out a leaf and create more room to use the door. Sorry if that was confusing.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home