PRINCSSIS SPEAKS...you may listen

Anyone who knows me and my family will know that I am "Princess Sister" to my three younger brothers. I'm a fairly quiet woman, so when I have something to say, I expect to be heard. I mean no disrespect or place myself on any kind of pedestal. My brothers gave me this name, so I honor them by using it.

Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

ANNIVERSARY = CARD? FLOWERS?

Fourteen years ago today, I said "I do" to hubby, AR. He's never been much of a romantic. Except, it was his idea to be married on July 13th. His parents and granparents were married on that day. We are the third generation.

Last year, on our 13th anniversary on the 13th of July, I actually received flowers! AND a card! Too bad the rest of the day went all wrong!

We live in tornado alley. This time of year, pop-up thunderstorms can appear at any time. Last year, there was a storm brewing as I shopped with our 3 month old daughter, "Belle". Our son, "CJ" was swimming at a friend's house. I was trying to get back home before AR returned from work, about 2:30 in the afternoon. Once he arrived, he called on my cell - "you need to get home fast - there's a storm coming." Knowing how over-reactive he usually is, I waited in line at he store to complete my purchase. Once I got in the car, he called again, more insistent this time. OK. The sky is looking pretty dark. Keep in mind we live in a small town 5 miles from the nearest shopping. I couldn't believe my eyes as I drove INTO this storm! I got home just in time, parked the car halfway into the garage so I could get Belle out with her car seat (the car barely fits in the garage - trying to get a car seat in and out is nearly impossible). About that time, AR asked where CJ was. I thought I had told him he was down the street at a friend's house. He informed me I hadn't. By now, the storm is too bad to go get him. The sky is green and hail begins to fall. TO THE BASEMENT!

Belle and I head to the basement while AR is pacing from window to window, watching the storm. At one point, the howling was just as I had heard described - like a train! About that time, AR yells, "you better pray CJ is okay! That house may be gone in this!" CJ's friend lives in a double wide trailer on a foundation. We live in a double-brick walled tri-level with very sturdy construction - quite possibly the sturdiest house in town! As I hold Belle close, saying a prayer and crying, I just can't believe this is happening.

Once the storm let up enough for AR to go down the street to get CJ, he left in the 4x4 pick-up. He returned shortly with a scrawny boy in only underwear! (You see, he had been swimming up until right before the storm hit. He only got as far as getting his underwear on before he hid in their closet.) He was scared and crying. So was I. He was fine and no homes were lost. No lives, either. The official word is we had 90mph straight line winds. There were a lot of trees down, homes damaged, a church's chimney collapsed into the sanctuary, our downtown business lost a roof and 32 power poles were down between here and the next town, from which our electricity is supplied.

It was something I never want to experience again.

This year, AR grilled a very nice dinner. NO CARD, NO FLOWERS. He said it was because of what happened last year when he took the time to pick up those things.

I know he loves me. It's just nice when he takes that extra step.

4 Comments:

Blogger Blond Girl said...

That's great! You know, he'll use that excuse for the REST OF YOUR MARRIAGE! LOL!

11:03 PM  
Blogger princssis said...

Well, I've been wanting a new diamond setting since our 10th. Maybe if he won't get me a card and flowers, how about a ring?

11:05 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Happy Anniversary. We get lots of tornadoes in West Texas too. And lots of straight line winds. Scary stuff. What State do you live in? Thanks for visiting my blog. I checked the corner in the Entertainment Center. No FireToad:-(

11:52 PM  
Blogger Blond Girl said...

Oh yeah, DUH!!!! Happy Anniversary!

Well, Champs got me a ring for our 5th wedding annivesary in time for the 6th... just keep working on him :-)

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home